Nicola Jones discovered a fire in a neighboring garden after her foster pet, a senior Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bailey, alerted her by barking and refusing to move.
“At about 3 o’clock he woke up and started barking and sniffing the air,” Jones told Friends of Dogs, Wales. “He seemed anxious and unsettled.”
Jones had brought Bailey back to her home in St. Mellons as a foster pet just a few hours earlier.
After noticing his unusual behavior, Jones took Bailey for a walk. “We walked along my road towards the path leading to Hendre lake—I intended to take him in the opposite direction but he insisted he wanted to go that way!” Jones said. “As we approached the end of the road Bailey stopped dead in his tracks and started barking again.”
At that point, Jones noticed a fire blazing in her neighbor’s backyard that was quickly approaching her own house. She called the fire department immediately.
“Imagine my horror when I saw smoke, then what was clearly a fire blazing in someone’s backyard,” she said.
In the fire, a pagoda, shed, pergola, fence and bushes were destroyed, but luckily, no one was harmed. “If the fire fighters had not responded so quickly the conservatory and house would have gone up in flames,” Jones said.
Bailey was being taken care of at the Newport City Dogs Home before being temporarily placed in Jones’ home. Bailey initially arrived at the shelter after being found tied to a lamppost in the city.
According to the Facebook page, Bailey, now a proclaimed hero, is still up for adoption.
Bailey’s heroism occurred just a couple days after Pet Fire Safety Day on July 15—a day dedicated to raising awareness of pet fire hazards.
Image via Friends of the Dogs, Wales/Facebook.com
For more interesting news stories, check out these articles: