Winter can be a dangerous time in cold weather regions and Morton Salt's Safe-T-Pet brand ice melt and the ASPCA want to provide pet owners with some safety tips.
"Pet owners should know the importance of keeping their furry friends safe during the winter," said Elysia Howard, vice president of marketing and licensing for the ASPCA. "We hope to raise awareness about this by teaming up with Morton for this public service campaign."
Some of their guidelines include:
- Using pet-friendly (salt free and chloride free) ice melters
- Keeping anti-freeze high on shelves in sealed containers and quickly cleaning any spills/leakage
- Limiting outdoor time for pets when temperatures drop below freezing
- Checking warm spots on cars, such as hoods, where animals might seek shelter from the cold
- Keeping pets on a leash, especially dogs, which can become disoriented or lost when once familiar surroundings are covered in ice and snow
- Making sure pets are wearing identification tags and proper outerwear as needed
This campaign is being promoted on Facebook, and for every “Like” received on the Morton’s page between now and January 31, 2012, Morton will donate $1 to the ASPCA. This is in addition to the $20,000 Morton already donated to the ASPCA to help continue their work providing resources to pet owners on pet wellness, especially the importance of proper winter pet care and safety.
"The world looks different to pets when it's covered in ice and snow," said Sara Matuszak, Morton brand manager. "We are proud to offer animal enthusiasts a chloride-free ice melt that's safer for pets in cold weather areas, and now by collaborating with the ASPCA on the 'National Keep Pets Safe in Winter' campaign, we hope to make a bigger difference in the lives of millions of pets and their owners."
Image: Tatiana Makotra / via Shutterstock