Diamond Pet Foods has voluntarily recalled its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food, as it may be contaminated with salmonella.
The food in question was distributed to customers in the following 12 states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia.
Customers in any of those states who have purchased Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice products with the following production codes and best before dates should stop feeding the food to their dogs and discard it immediately:
- 6-lb bag with the production code DLR0101D3XALW and best before January 4, 2013
- 20-lb bag with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and best before January 3, 2013
- 40-lb bag with the production code DLR0101C31XMF and best before January 3, 2013
- 40-lb bag with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and best before January 3, 2013
- 40-lb bag with the production code DLR0101D32XMS and best before January 4, 2013
No illnesses relating to the product have been reported and no other Diamond products were affected.
Dogs that have eaten the food, or people that have handled it, could become infected with salmonella. Pets with salmonella may display a decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. People infected with salmonella should watch for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever.
Customers who have purchased these specific products can call 800-442-0402, or visit www.diamondpet.com, for further information or to obtain a product refund.