4. Road/Sidewalk De-icers (Rock Salt)
Ice-melting salts not only irritate and chap your pet's paws, they can also poison your pet if consumed in sufficient quantities. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, "salt poisoning in dogs and cats results in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, lethargy, walking drunk, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death when untreated." When salting your own driveway and sidewalks, look for pet-safe ice-melting products. Additionally, wash your pet's feet every time they come from outside, or consider buying him or her some cute winter booties.