A Few Hiking Safety Tips for Dogs
Before heading out on your hike you will want to ensure that:
- Your dog is up to date on his vaccinations.
- Your dog has a rabies tag on him.
- Your contact info on his collar or microchip implant is up to date.
- Your dog is free of any open wounds that could be vulnerable to infection.
- Your dog is current on necessary preventatives for fleas, ticks, and heartworms (NOTE: Examine the dog after the hike for fleas and ticks, too).
It is also vital that you pack enough food and water for both you and the dog as well as a basic first aid kit with disinfectant, gauze, bandaging material, tweezers, scissors, insect repellant, cortisone, and whatever else seems reasonable considering your hiking environment.