Poisoning in Dogs

Cecilia de Cardenas
Sep 8, 2008
Image: Photo Grapher / via Image Bank

It is not uncommon for an animal to ingest a poison or toxic substance. If your dog is behaving abnormally, or if you have witnessed it ingesting a toxic substance, you should immediately take your dog to a veterinarian for treatment, as it may have poisoned itself.

If you find the substance that was ingested, bring this to the veterinarian for examination, along with any vomit samples. This will aid in the diagnosis and treatment plan.

To learn more about how poison intoxication affects cats, please visit this page in the petMD health library.

Symptoms and Types

Your pet may be experiencing unexplained vomiting, diarrhea, or may appear to be weak (lethargic) to the point of being unable to move.

Causes

Poison intoxication occurs when a dog ingests a foreign material, fluid or otherwise, that causes a physical reaction. If left untreated, it can be fatal.

Diagnosis

Poisons and toxic substances come in many forms, and it is often difficult to give an exact diagnosis if the substance is not known and identified. If your veterinarian is unsure as to what was ingested, the dog's symptoms will be treated as they become obvious. When possible, a blood work-up will be ordered to determine the exact cause of the poisoning.

Related Posts

Anticoagulant Poisoning in Dogs

Anticoagulant Poisoning in Dogs

Cecilia de Cardenas
Mar 21, 2016
Rat Poisoning in Dogs

Rat Poisoning in Dogs

PetMD Editorial
Mar 09, 2016
Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

Alex German
Apr 14, 2016
Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Dogs

Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Dogs

Alex German
Apr 12, 2016