It is not uncommon for an animal to ingest a poison or toxic substance. If you have witnessed your cat ingesting a toxic substance or it is behaving abnormally, you should immediately take your cat to a veterinarian for treatment, as it may have poisoned itself.
If you find the substance that was ingested, bring this to the veterinarian for examination, along with any vomit samples. This will aid in the diagnosis and treatment plan.
To learn more about how this poison intoxication affects dogs, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.
Symptoms and Types
Your cat may be experiencing unexplained vomiting, diarrhea, or may appear to be weak (lethargic) to the point of being unable to move.
Poison intoxication occurs when a cat ingests a foreign material, fluid or otherwise, that causes a physical reaction. If left untreated, it can be fatal.
Poisons and toxic substances come in many forms, and it is often difficult to give an exact diagnosis if the substance is not known and identified. If your veterinarian is unsure as to what was ingested, the cat's symptoms will be treated as they become obvious. When possible, a blood work-up will be ordered to determine the exact cause of the poisoning.