Q. 16lb dog eat a baked sheet cookie had semi sweet chips been over 4 hour no tremours no diarrhea no voimiting laying around like normal

A. Chocolate is toxic for dogs. As with all toxins, the dosage makes the difference.... Did your dog just eat one cookie or the whole sheet of cookies? After 4 hours it would now be too late to induce vomiting. Continue to monitor your dog for the following signs and if any appear, do see a vet immediately (or take him to a Pet ER):




Elevated heart rate

Hypertension (elevated blood pressure)

Abnormal heart rhythms


Hyperthermia (elevated body temperature)



The less sweet the chocolate and the darker, the more toxic it is. The toxins are theobromine, methylxanthines and caffeine.

Again, if your dog shows any of the above signs, please take him to a vet or ER. Bring the chips-wrapper with you so the vet can assess the quantity of toxic substance ingested.

Answered By

Was this helpful?

Related Questions

Related Articles

Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Lizard Venom Poisoning in Dogs

In terms of lizards, the Gila Monster and the Mexican Beaded Lizard are the only ones to be seriously concerned about. These lizards live almost exclusively in the American Southwest and Mexico. While Gila Monsters and Mexican Beaded Lizards...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading