Q. Puppy 1 gave puppy 2 ringworm. How do I kill the ringworm in both? What medication should be bought and administered

A. Do not give any medications to your pet without the advice of your veterinarian. In most cases, otherwise healthy pups will resolve a ringworm infection without any treatment at all in 6-12 weeks. If it is a severe case of ringworm, see your veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment since ringworm is very difficult to treat. Practice excellent hygiene since ringworm can be passed from a pet to humans. The ringworm spore is very hardy. It can survive in the environment for years. Thoroughly vacuum the environment and dispose of the bag. A dilute bleach solution of 1.5 cups per gallon of water can be used to disinfect hard surfaces. Use an EPA certified cleaner for fabrics and furniture that cannot be laundered. If your budget allows, professional carpet dry cleaning is recommended. Sunlight can kill spores. Open blinds or curtains. Place anything you can get outside in the direct sunlight for as long as possible. Eliminate dark, moist areas which is where the fungus will thrive.

Answered By

Related Questions

Related Articles

Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading