Q. Fleas? First noticed scabs & small lumps under chin & neck. Used hydrocotizone spray, flea collar, spray, baths...Is licking, has hair loss & swelling

A. If you are currently treating for fleas with a flea prevention treatment, several things could be happening. It could be that your pet is experiencing a flea-bite allergy, even if the fleas themselves are gone, which is very common. This causes small, red, itchy bumps to appear on the body where fleas have previously bitten the area. If your pet is allowed to scratch or chew at these spots, it could lead to a bacterial infection under the skin which can become red, painful, hot to the touch or even cause the hair to be lost in the affected area. Making an appointment with your vet can determine if this is the case and treatment usually involves allergy medications and any antibiotics or anti-fungals needed to clear up a secondary infection.

Another cause of skin changes, swelling and hair loss are hormonal imbalances. Thyroid problems, adrenal gland problems and other hormone produces in the body can cause changes to appear on the coat and skin in affected animals. You may also notice other signs such as changes in appetite, thirst, urination or even in your pet's weight. A set of blood tests from your vet can determine if this is the case. Most of these conditions are treated successfully with the addition of a daily medication to balance the hormones.

Answered By

Related Questions

Related Articles

Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading