Q. I have a 15 yr old dog he goes down then in a few minutes he is up going again spells are getting more often

A. If your dog is stumbling or falling over, it may indicate either a weakness in the legs (such as a nerve, joint or muscular issue) or a possible neurologic problem. If the falling spells are happening more often, it is best to seek out a senior wellness exam with your veterinarian to check for any issues that may be causing it. If he falls over or becomes unconscious, has other signs of neurologic issues such as circling, head tilt, confusion, etc, or is unable to walk, then seeking veterinary care sooner is best.

Answered By

Was this helpful?

A. I would second the idea that your dog needs to see a vet, but I would add that what you are describing could be "syncopal" episodes, or fainting spells secondary to heart disease. Dogs with advanced heart disease often have trouble getting enough oxygenated blood out to their limbs, so they'll appear to have a fainting spell - it's very common to see when they become excited, as the demand for blood and the heart rate increases. There are medications that can improve cardiac output and help with this problem, but your dog's condition needs to be assessed overall, a prognosis determined, and a treatment plan initiated.

Answered By

Was this helpful?

Related Questions

Related Articles

Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading