Q. What are the counter-indications of flea medications?

A. You have to be sure that you use the correct treatment on the correct animal and for the right size of pet. For example don't use a large breed dog treatment on a Chihuahua and don't put a dog treatment on a cat.
Permethrin is in some dog flea treatments and unfortunately in some over the counter cat treatments, this is extremely toxic to cats and affects the central nervous system. Mild signs can be muscle tremors but can cause seizures and can ultimately be fatal. If your cat has been treated with a permethrin product you need wash the product off and contact your vet or emergency vet immediately.
Equally overdosing your pet with a flea treatment (putting a treatment for a 35kg dog on a 4kg dog) can cause similar symptoms. Again the treatment is the same, wash the product off and contact your vet immediately.
Occasionally it may happen that you have used the correct treatment but your dog/cat is hyper salivating or vomiting. Some products just may not agree with some animals if this is the case try a different product next time. Hyper salivation and a limited amount of vomiting doesn't necessarily require veterinary treatment but excessive vomiting or any muscle twitching should be treated as a toxicity and washed off & your vet contacted.

Answered By

Related Questions

Related Articles

Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading