breed

Lily Plant Poisoning in Cats

Toxic Reaction to Lily House Plants

One of the most toxic household plants for cats is the common lily. In fact, eating as little as two or three leaves from the flowers can result in liver failure and, if left untreated, can have a fatal outcome for cats. Lilies are a widely used houseplant, with 10 to 11 million plants produced annually within the United States. Some of the most common lilies are Easter lilies, Tiger lilies, Japanese show lilies, Rubrum lilies, and Day lilies.

Symptoms and Types

One of the most immediate symptoms of lily poisoning is the sudden onset of vomiting. In addition, cats that are experiencing lily poisoning will often exhibit signs of depression, diarrhea, dehydration, and lack of appetite (anorexia). If the condition is left untreated, death can occur within four to seven days of ingestion (sooner if the cat consumes a larger amount of the plant).

Causes

Ingesting any plant in the lily family can result in poisoning. However, the Lilium and Hemerocallis genera lilies are the most dangerous for cats. Eating even a small amount of the plant will have a severe impact on a cat's system.

Diagnosis

If possible, you will need to take a sample of the plant that was ingested along to the veterinarian when you take your cat for treatment. If you suspect anything else in your home of being the cause for the toxic reaction you should take that as well. This will make your veterinarian's ability to diagnose the reaction that much easier, and treatment can be prescribed swiftly, minimizing the probability of long-term organ damage. Some common issues that may be discovered during your cat's physical examination include swollen kidneys, fluid buildup (edema), and possibly an empty gut (gastrointestinal tract).

 
1/2
  Next >