breed

Q. Cat leaves very small and many segmented mostly curved dark brown carcasses where ever she lays.Also has fleas. She is in contact with raccoons.

A. Let's start with the fleas. They need to be treated, as they can (and usually do) cause tapeworms, not to mention that you can pretty quickly have an infestation in your house. Your vet can help treat them. There is a drug called Capstar that's very effective in getting active fleas to leave the animal, and then on-going treatment usually involves a topical product like Frontline.

Contact with raccoons is dangerous for a number of reasons. They can have rabies, and they can transmit that to cats (and ultimately to people). They also have a very unique and serious parasite called Baylis ascaris which causes severe neurologic disease in people. And they can get feline panleukopenia and canine distemper, so I would definitely discourage any contact between your cat and raccoons.

As far as these brown carcasses, I'm sorry but I just don't know what those could be. If you request a consult you can show us some pictures and perhaps we'll be able to identify them for you.

Answered By
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading