breed

Q. I have a 6 week old puppy with demodex mange EHST is the protocol for using ivermectin with this age puppy

A. Many dogs have genetic sensitivities to Ivermectin that cause them to have serious reactions to even normal doses of this drug. For this reason it is only available in the U.S. By prescription and should only be used under the specific instructions of a veterinarian. Also, demodex can be very difficult to treat, and often requires repeated treatments until it resolves. In addition dogs can have secondary bacterial skin infections that require treatment with antibiotics in order to get the skin completely clear.

I'd also mention that demodex in young puppies, if it's confined to a small area and not generalized, typically resolves on its own or with topical therapy. Consult your vet to see if treatment is even necessary for what your puppy has.

Answered By
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.

Was this helpful?


A. When your vet diagnosed this they should have provided treatment advice, ring your vets office for clarification on dosage. If he has not been definitively diagnosed I would not recommend starting ivermectin on an assumption at 6weeks of age as many of the options are not recommended this young unless absolutely necessary. There are safer alternatives

Answered By
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading