breed

Q. My puppy ate a used 3.5 cm firecracker I think ( 5-6 months west highland terrier )

A. Hopefully this was just a small (2 inches or so) paper canister of the firecracker. There might be some concerns with toxicity from the explosive powder inside if the firecracker had not been discharged already, but I think we're probably in the clear for that since it was already used. Should only contain traces of those substances. Watch for any GI upset - vomiting, diarrhea - and consult your vet if you see this. I think the firecracker itself, if it was only paper, should pass through his system just fine, but monitor him closely for the next 24 hours.

Answered By
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading