breed

Q. The cat has had a black scab on his head.originally I was told it was skin cancer, since then I believe it may be a parasite. It wont heal

A. Another possibility is that this lesion is something called an eosinophilic plaque. These are often allergy-related, and appear as scabs on the head (and sometimes other areas, but very frequently we see them on the face and head) of cats. Often they will improve with a change to a hypoallergenic diet, but many times cats need steroid drugs to reduce the immune system's reaction, which is what's causing the lesion. Unfortunately it takes a biopsy to tell the difference between an eosinophilic plaque and cancer, and since cancer is life-threatening this is definitely a procedure I recommend.

Answered By
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.

Was this helpful?


A. I doubt it is a parasite, but this can be riled out by doing a skin scraping at the vet. A tumor can also be confirmed by checking a stained slide from this black scab.

If it has defined margins and feels movable above the skin, it would probably be a good idea to have it removed surgically before it becomes too big or attached to the tissue underneath the skin.

Answered By
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading