breed

Q. I have a dog. I can't seem to rid him of mites. I bathe him and treat him with the medicine that smells like kerosene. The mites will be gone and then

A. You didn't mention what kind of mites your dog has - whether demodectic or sarcoptic - but either can be difficult to get rid of at times with dipping and only topical medication. Talk to your vet about using oral medications to treat this, and about identifying the exact type of mite that's present, so that a specific treatment plan can be developed. I also put dogs with mites on fish oils - it helps to improve the health of the skin, which improves chance of long term recovery. Also ask about whether secondary bacterial infection may be complicating things as well. If so, antibiotics may be needed.

Answered By
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading