breed

Q. My dog has SEVERE environmental & food allergies & hes on kangaroo kibble x12 weeks but would changing him to wild rabbit grain free be ok to switch

A. Allergies are tricky. Allergic reactions can be very quick and show up very soon after ingesting something, however, stopping these reactions can take several weeks. If you switched to a new food it can take up to 3 months before you really know if it is helping, but the symptoms during this time may continue, they shouldn't be getting any worse. Removing histamines from the body is a slow process. If you think the problem isn't getting better then it is time to try another food.

If you're up for trying to figure out what the allergies are caused by, you can try an elimination diet. You basically take the dog back to 1 protein, 1 carb diet short term and when they begin to stabilize symptoms you start to re-introduce 1 new food at a time. I'm available for a private consultation if you would like some help with this.

Answered By
KATIE SHANNON

Was this helpful?


A. It is impossible to guess which food will suit sensitive dogs without a food trial, being aware you may need to revert to previous food if signs recur. A hydrolyzed diet is most likely to be effective if you only have partial improvement

Answered By
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Weight Loss and Chronic Disease in Dogs

Cachexia in Dogs When should your dog’s weight loss concern you? The standard is when the loss exceeds ten percent of normal body weight (and when it is not due to fluid loss). There are many things that can cause weight loss,...

Read More
Ingestion of Feces and Foreign Objects in Dogs

Coprophagia and Pica in Dogs Pica is a medical issue referring to a dog's craving of a non-food item and the subsequent eating of said item. Coprophagia, meanwhile, is the eating and ingesting of feces. Generally, neither...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading