breed

Q. What should I do, my 8 month old puppy just swallowed a rock? She is a miniature schnauzer.

A. If the rock is big enough, she will not be able to pass it through her intestines and will require surgery in order to remove it. If it's a small rock it might just pass through with the feces.

You can give small amounts of mineral oil twice a day to help it "slide" and check her stools every day.

Answered By
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS

Was this helpful?


A. If your puppy JUST swallowed the rock, ie within the past 2 hrs then IMMEDIATELY take him to a Pet ER or a vet to have them induce vomiting. This will prevent the rock from moving out of the stomach into the intestine and possibly cause an intestinal obstruction.

Answered By
DR. ANDREA M. BRODIE, DVM

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading