breed

Q. My dog ate 500 mg calcium tablet with vitamin d added. What should I do ?

A. This amount is potentially toxic. The toxic acute oral dose for Vit D is anything equal to or above 4mg/kg.
I would highly recommend taking your pet to a veterinary clinic asap for deteoxification and supportive care.
I also would advise calling ASPCA Animal Poison control hotline @ (888) 426-4435 for further specifics on what this dose, based on your pets weight, means prognosis wise and what symptoms to watch out for.

Answered By
DESTINI R. HOLLOWAY, DVM

Was this helpful?


A. Hotline, not hot one :)

Answered By
DR. JENNIFER LADD, DVM

Was this helpful?


A. I would recommend contacting the ASPCA pet poison hot one. They will charge you a consultation fee, but the best thing about it is there board-certified toxicologists who can calculate a toxic dose for your animal. My suspicion is that dose should not cause a problem but they will be able to design a plan specifically for your pet

Answered By
DR. JENNIFER LADD, DVM

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Cushing's Disease in Dogs

Hyperadrenocorticism in Dogs The endocrine system is the collective system of organs that control hormones in the body, one of which is the cortisone hormone, responsible for protein and carbohydrate metabolism in the body....

Read More
Parvo in Dogs

Canine Parvovirus Infection in Dogs The canine parvovirus (CPV) infection is a highly contagious viral illness that affects dogs. The virus manifests itself in two different forms. The more common form is the intestinal form,...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading