breed

Q. 16 lb. Tabby, very large, not fat. 8 years old ate one 2,000 I.U. D-3 Vitamin D soft gel capsule one hour ago. Ate dinner 10 minutes later. How toxic?

A. Vomiting, muscle twitching and weakness, increased thirst and urination, kidney damage and seizures can all develop with excess vitamin d levels. Vitamin D is stored well in the body so any that is ingested is added to the natural reserve and it is the total body level rather than the new dose which will determine any problems.

The toxic level is expected to be 0.1mg/kg; 2000iu is approximately 0.05mg so your cat would be estimated to have ingested 0.007mg/kg extra with this tablet. Monitor very closely for any signs of illness or discomfort and a blood test to rule out kidney complications may be advisable especially if there is any chance she could regularly help herself

Answered By
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Cushing's Disease in Dogs

Hyperadrenocorticism in Dogs The endocrine system is the collective system of organs that control hormones in the body, one of which is the cortisone hormone, responsible for protein and carbohydrate metabolism in the body....

Read More
Parvo in Dogs

Canine Parvovirus Infection in Dogs The canine parvovirus (CPV) infection is a highly contagious viral illness that affects dogs. The virus manifests itself in two different forms. The more common form is the intestinal form,...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading