breed

Q. My dog or dogs ate some chocolate while I was gone. Not sure if both ate or just one. I'm guessing about 4 oz. of milk chocolate were digested. Help!

A. It would be helpful to know the weight of your dogs. Milk chocolate is much less toxic than darker types and 4oz among more than one terrier would be expected to have mild-moderate side effects. If it was within the last hour it may be helpful to arrange to have the dogs to vomit any which may be still in their stomachs but if it has been greater than 3-4hours this will not help. Monitor closely for any signs of tremors, agitation or confusion which would require urgent treatment, some mild vomiting or diarrhea would be expected.

Answered By
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Acne in Dogs

Pustules in Dogs Much like in teenage humans, acne is a benign disorder that typically only lasts a while. It occurs when the hair follicles become irritated. Dogs with short coats such as Boxers, Bulldogs, and Rottweilers are the...

Read More
Collie Eye Defect in Dogs

Collie Eye Anomaly in Dogs Collie eye anomaly, also referred to as collie eye defect, is an inherited congenital condition. The chromosomes that determine the development of the eyes are mutated, so that the choroid (the collection...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading