breed

Q. Hi my 3month old long hair chihuahua just ate a piece of cand she found in my sounds room and is now repeatedly throwing up and it has red stuff in it

A. The red stuff could be coloring from the candy or blood. The candy could cause an obstruction or have sharp edges that cause damage to the stomach or the esophagus. Please take your puppy to the vet right away to hopefully avoid more damage. An obstruction is a life threatening condition. Also, if possible, check if this candy has xylitol as an ingredient, as this is poisonous to dogs and needs to be addressed as well. Bring the candy bag with you to the vet.

Answered By
DR. ANDREA M. BRODIE, DVM

Was this helpful?


A. This has probably caused her an upset stomach. Withhold food for 8 hours then offer her boiled boneless chicken and rice every 6 hours in small portions. If she is eating and not vomiting, continue with this diet for 2 days.

After 2 days, you can put her back gradually on her normal food.



If she continues vomiting or is not eating, take her to the vet to get treatment.

Answered By
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Demodectic Mange in Dogs

Demodicosis in Dogs Mange (demodicosis) is an inflammatory disease in dogs caused by various types of the Demodex mite. When the number of mites inhabiting the hair follicles and skin of the dog become exorbitant, it can lead to...

Read More
Sarcoptic Mange in Dogs

Hair Loss Caused by Mites (Canine Scabies), or Mange in Dogs Sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious skin disease found in dogs, caused by theSarcoptes scabieimite. These mites will burrow through the skin causing intense itching...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading