A. Obviously your kitty is itching terribly. If you do regular flea control, then it is unlikely that he has fleas, however if you do not do any flea control, it is quite possible that there are fleas on him and in his surroundings. He could also be suffering from ringworm, which can be very itchy, but not always is. There are various other parasites, and bacteria and allergies or hypersensitivity reactions possible. You should take him to a vet for an exam and I am sure the cause can be found and remedied.
A. Obviously your kitty is itching ble. The best is to take him for a terribly, If you do regular flea control, then it is unlikely that he has fleas, however if you do not do any flea control, it is quite possible that there are fleas on him and in his surroundings. He could also be suffering from ringworm, which can be very itchy, but not always is. There are various other parasites, and bacteria possible. You should take him to a vet for an exam and I am sure the cause can be found and remedied.
A. If you don't notice any fleas on your pet then this sounds like a hypersensitivity reaction or allergy. Cats can have seasonal and environmental allergies just like dogs. In this case over the counter anti-histamines don't measure up and will most likely not help your kitty. I recommend taking him to your vet so that they can examine the skin. If there is an infection to the skin an appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed and then a good treatment plan for the itching. I like to use steroid shots in cats that are otherwise healthy. Vomiting in an otherwise healthy looking cat is suspicious for a possible food allergy here. I would recommend open up the lines of discussion with your vet about potential food allergies and some options that he/she can prescribe for your pet. Royal Canin and Hill's Science diet have great food options for cats with suspected food allergies.
DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.
IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.
Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.
User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.
petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.
Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.
Your account has been reactivated.