breed

Q. My 40 lb boxer/pitbull/ lab mix ate a 12 oz bag of semisweet chocolate chips has vomiting and diarrhea do I need to take him in?

A. Sorry, my answer got messed up, but basically, yes, take him to the vet immediately.

Answered By
DEBI MATLACK



A. Chocolate is a toxin that will affect your pet's nervous system and can cause seizures and death. It depends on the size of your pet and the amount and concentration of chocolate he consumed. Make sure to take the package with you so you can let your veterinarian know what they're dealing with. They will do an exam, bloodwork and possibly an ECG to see if the heart is having any arrhythmias.

If it has been less than two hours since ingestion, you can induce vomiting by giving an oral dose of hydrogen peroxide, about 1 cc per pound. One tablespoon is about 5 cc. A turkey baster will work if you don't have a syringe. Longer than two hours and it will have already moved into the intestines.

t immediately.

Answered By
DEBI MATLACK



Related Questions

Related Articles


Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Lizard Venom Poisoning in Dogs

In terms of lizards, the Gila Monster and the Mexican Beaded Lizard are the only ones to be seriously concerned about. These lizards live almost exclusively in the American Southwest and Mexico. While Gila Monsters and Mexican Beaded Lizards...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading