breed

Q. My pup has been treated 3 times for worms and still has them. I've never seen worms so bad. What do I do to get rid of them?

A. Submit a stool sample to your vet to identify the specific parasite. Treat as indicated, repeating the treatment in 2-3 weeks if needed. If it is tapeworm, treat the pup and environment for fleas as they can reinfect the pup after deworming. Clean and sanitize the environment. Wash all bowls and non porous toys in hot, soapy water. Wash all bedding. Hard surfaces can be sanitized with a 1:30 dilution of household bleach and water. Allow for a 20 minute contact time. Pick up any feces immediately and keep the pup away from high traffic areas until the parasites are cleared and a monthly preventative is being given.

Answered By
ANGEL ALVARADO

Was this helpful?


A. It really depends on the type of worm that your puppy has. The best thing would be to have your dog examined by a veterinarian and have a fecal sample submitted for analysis. Depending on the type of worm, your vet that can prescribe appropriate medication to treat the parasite. You also may need to disinfect the environment as your puppy may be reinfecting him/herself.

Answered By
DR. LEIGH PUSATERI, DVM

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading