breed

Q. My dogs ears nose and eyes get really red.He scratches so bad it breaks the skin.What could cause this? We have other pets that don't have this issue.

A. This can be a common sign of allergies. Allergies can be frustrating to diagnose since they can have multiple causes (inhaled, food, contact, flea bites, etc). Place an e-collar (cone) on her to protect her ears and eyes from further trauma. Schedule an appointment with your veterinarian. Since the scratching has broken the skin, she is at risk for a skin infection and requires antibiotics. Your vet can also prescribe a short course of steroids to break the itch cycle then can dispense or recommend an antihistamine to prevent the itchiness from returning. Some antihistamines work better than others in different dogs, so you will need to find the one that works best. A pet approved colloidal oatmeal bath can soothe itchy skin. Consider adding an essential fatty acid supplement (usually a fish oil) to her diet to promote healthy skin. Search www.pet360.com for fish oil supplements. If your vet diagnoses allergies, your task is to try to determine what she is allergic to and decrease or eliminate it. Discuss food elimination trials and allergy testing with your vet.

Answered By
ANGEL ALVARADO

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Demodectic Mange in Dogs

Demodicosis in Dogs Mange (demodicosis) is an inflammatory disease in dogs caused by various types of the Demodex mite. When the number of mites inhabiting the hair follicles and skin of the dog become exorbitant, it can lead to...

Read More
Sarcoptic Mange in Dogs

Hair Loss Caused by Mites (Canine Scabies), or Mange in Dogs Sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious skin disease found in dogs, caused by theSarcoptes scabieimite. These mites will burrow through the skin causing intense itching...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading