breed

Q. My 5 month old puppy is being sick, we think she has eaten something. She also won't eat her food or any treats or crackers we give her.

A. If you believe she may have ingested something toxic, seek veterinary attention immediately. Monitor for extreme lethargy, abdominal pain or unsuccessful attempts to vomit. If she didn't ingest a toxin, try withholding all food and treats for 12-24 hours. Allow small amounts of water or unflavored PediaLyte. Resume feeding a bland diet (1:1 ratio of plain boiled boneless chicken and plain white rice). Feed in small, frequent amounts waiting at least one hour between feedings. Serve warmed or mix in a teaspoon of baby food to stimulate the appetite. If the GI upset does not resolve or the appetite does not return, you will need to see your veterinarian.

Answered By
ANGEL ALVARADO

Was this helpful?


A. If she has eaten something which could be causing an obstruction this needs urgent veterinary assessment and may require surgery. Do not delay the appointment as dehydration can develop rapidly and makes treatment much more difficult

Answered By
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading