breed

Q. I have a Shih Tzu pupy, 2 years old, about 13 lbs. He chewed a tou that had plastic rings on it and swallowed it up. This morning he threw up again an

A. When dogs eat any object we are concerned about the occurrence of a foreign body obstruction. This is when a foreign item becomes stuck in the gastrointestinal tract and causes a blockage. This is a serious condition that is deadly if left untreated. I'd recommend having your dog seen by a veterinarian right away, especially because he has begun vomiting. X-rays and/or a barium study can determine if the plastic rings are causing an obstruction and often the treatment is emergency surgery. It is best not to let this condition go untreated as parts of the digestive tract can die if the object is blocking off blood flow.

Answered By
PAULA SIMONS

Was this helpful?


Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading