breed

Q. I believe my dog has demodex mites, how can I be sure?

A. Unlike most skin parasites, demodex mites do not live on the skin, they live in the hair follicles, therefore it is not possible to spot them on hair or skin. Deep skin scrapings must be performed and it is necessary to visualize the mites under a microscope.

Demodicosis is most commonly seen in puppies and young dogs. Localized forms, which usually affect the skin on face and/or legs, often do not require treatment and symptoms resolve spontaneously.

On the other hand, generalized forms of Demodicosis affect the whole body, causing skin crusting, irritation and hair loss. These forms require treatment, in many cases during several weeks, or even months.

There are various treatment options depending on the severity of symptoms. Demodicosis can be treated with shampoos and other topical skin preparations, spot-on medications, tablets or anti-parasitic injections.

Finally, generalized Demodicosis in adult dogs is the most serious form as it results in suppression of the dog's immune system. This form of Demodicosis develops secondary to internal diseases like hypothyroidism, Cushing

Answered By
TOMASZ WNUK



Related Questions

Related Articles


Stomach Flu with Bloody Diarrhea in Dogs

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) in Dogs Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is identified by blood in the vomit and/or stool, often due to a food borne illness. Because it is a serious disorder than can be potentially fatal, immediate veterinary...

Read More
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading