breed

Q. My dog ate 2 candy bars, a Snickers and M&Ms. Is this toxic? He is a 13.4 lbs Chorckie. He drank water and ate some carrots too

A. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate is usually more harmful than milk chocolate products, as the cocoa content (which is the toxic part) is higher, however any chocolate product if eaten in a high enough amount can be harmful.

It is best to contact your local veterinarian or emergency clinic for care if your dog has ingested chocolate. If the ingestion was recent, your vet may recommend inducing vomiting and can give you instructions unique to your dog for care. If the ingestion was not recent, your vet may recommend bringing your dog in for care, or monitoring for signs of toxicity such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain or changes in behavior or appetite.

Answered By
JESSICA L DESROSIERS



Related Questions

Related Articles


Cushing's Disease in Dogs

Hyperadrenocorticism in Dogs The endocrine system is the collective system of organs that control hormones in the body, one of which is the cortisone hormone, responsible for protein and carbohydrate metabolism in the body....

Read More
Parvo in Dogs

Canine Parvovirus Infection in Dogs The canine parvovirus (CPV) infection is a highly contagious viral illness that affects dogs. The virus manifests itself in two different forms. The more common form is the intestinal form,...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading