A. If your dog is attempting to eat these objects it is best to take them away ASAP to prevent accidental ingestion and potential blockage from ingesting those items. If he is hesitant to let go of the items, you can "trade" them by offering a tasty treat or piece of food such as boiled chicken or turkey to get him to drop the objects and take the treat instead. Be sure to keep these items out of reach to prevent ingestion. If he is nibbling items you are wearing, taking them off, or telling him Ouch! (as if it were your skin) and then directing him to an appropriate treat or chew toy is best.
If he has already ingested these items, or is showing signs of illness such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite or lethargy, then it is best to schedule an appointment with your local veterinarian to determine if the objects were eaten and to provide medical care.
DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.
IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.
Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.
User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.
petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.
Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.
Your account has been reactivated.