breed

Q. My puppy ate 2 peanut butter with chocolate chip granola bars.

A. It is important to know your pup's weight, age, and breed. It takes a decent amount of milk chocolate to cause any issues in a dog. However, if it was dark chocolate, and your dog is very small (2lb small breed) then you should consider going to the vet. If your dog is a little larger, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep a very close eye on your puppy for the next couple of days, and check each bowel movement.

I am hoping you didn't scold your dog for eating the granola bars. I say this because you may have, when truly, it was your own fault. Allowing your puppy to get into trouble like that is irresponsible. A puppy should be crate trained, and crated when unsupervised. Not only that, but if your puppy had already eaten the granola bars, scolding is pointless. Scolding after the fact is always pointless. If you're going to scold, or redirect your puppy, you should do is DURING the act, and not after. The puppy will only learn that you are scary, and unpredictable if you scold after he has done something bad and forgotten about it.

Answered By
COURTNEY CONNORS



Related Questions

Related Articles


Allergic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylaxis in Dogs Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that occurs when an animal reacts adversely to a particular allergen. In extreme situations, this reaction can be fatal. The condition is fairly unpredictable, as almost any...

Read More
Miscarriage in Dogs

Spontaneous Abortion and Pregnancy Loss in Dogs There are several methods for performing a safe abortion for a dog, as well as instances in which the pregnancy could spontaneously abort or miscarry. It is important to note that dogs...

Read More

DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training.

Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD.

User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions.

petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice.

Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.

Continue Reading